Quigley’s Corner 09.13.16 –2016 IG Corporate Debt Issuance (so far)= $1 T-r-i-l-l-ion!
Investment Grade Corporate Debt New Issue Re-Cap – Another Broken Record –
Global Market Recap
IG Primary & Secondary Market Talking Points
New Issues Priced
Lipper Report/Fund Flows – Week ending September 7th
IG Credit Spreads (by Rating/Industry)
New Issue Pipeline
Economic Data Releases
Rates Trading Lab
Yesterday I wrote, “the session finished with only those two deals priced totaling $1.2b with a promise from the guy-in-the-corner that tomorrow WILL be a VERY busy day!” Well tomorrow is today and true to my word we had a blockbuster. I then wrote, “We are only $20.822bn away from $1 trillion in IG Corporate-only issuance YTD. Last year we set a new IG Corporate-only record by reaching the $1 trillion mark on Thursday, October 1st. (see your incoming “Quigley’s Corner” 9-30-2015). We’d shatter that record by nearly three weeks if it happens tomorrow!”
I am happy to report that we reached the $1 trillion dollar mark in IG Corporate-only volume at the earliest stage in any year, shattering last year’s record set on October 1st by 18 business days or 2 weeks and 3 days.
13 IG Corporate issuers printed 26 tranches between them today totaling $22.344b. 5 SSA issuers added 5 tranches totaling $9.25b for an all-in IG day total of 18 issuers, 31 tranches and $31.594b.
There remain 12 new issues in the imminent pipeline either currently road showing, about to conduct investor meetings/calls or have already wrapped those up. So, there’s plenty of business to go not counting M&A deals of which Shire looms large.
|IG Corporate New Issuance||This Week
WTD – $23.194b
|September 2016||vs. Current
MTD – $75.654b
Here’s how it looked:
|# of IG Corporate Issuers||12|
|# of IG Corporate Tranches||25|
|Total IG Volume||$22.194b|
|# of SSA Issuers||5|
|# of SSA Tranches||5|
|Total SSA Volume||$9.25b|
|Total Amount of All-in Issuers||17|
|Total Number of All-in Tranches||30|
|All-in Corps + SSA Amount||$31.244b|
Here’s a look at some other records:
o $31.594 ranks as the 5th highest volume day in history for IG Corps plus SSA.
o $31.594b ranks as the 2nd busiest all-in issuance day of 2016.
Global Market Recap
o U.S Treasuries – Terrible day for USTs Bund’s & Gilts also headed south. JGB’s better.
o Stocks – U.S. down Friday, up yesterday & down today. Europe red & Asia was mixed.
o Economic – Nothing of note in the U.S. China & Japan data better. Europe mixed.
o Currencies – Very good day for the USD & DXY Index.
o Commodities – Crude oil and commodities, in general, struggled.
o CDX IG: +3.70 to 76.96
o CDX HY: +16.91 to 413.84
o CDX EM: +12.92 to 254.60
*CDX levels are as of 3:30PM ET today.
IG Primary & Secondary Market Talking Points
- Liberty Property Trust upsized today’s 10yr Senior Unsecured Notes new issue to $400mm from $300mm at the launch and at the tightest side of guidance.
- Split-rated Aspen Insurance Holdings Ltd. increased its $25 par PerpNC10 non-cumulative Preferred new issue to $225mm from $150mm at the launch and tightest side of guidance.
- The average spread compression from IPTs thru the launch/final pricing of today’s 24 IG Corporate-only new issues was 16.99 bps.
- Including today’s Aspen $25 par Preferred, the average spread compression from IPTs thru the launch/final pricing of today’s 25 IG Corporate new issues was 16.54 bps.
- BAML’s IG Master Index widened 2 bps to +142 versus +140. +106 represents the post-Crisis low dating back to July 2007.
- Standard & Poor’s Global Fixed Income Research widened 1 bp to +190 versus +189. The +140 reached on July 30th 2014 represents the post-Crisis low.
- Investment grade corporate bond trading posted a final Trace count of $12.6b on Monday versus $15.7b Friday.
- The 10-DMA stands at $13.8b.
Below please find my synopsis of everything Syndicate and Secondary from today’s debt capital markets, including the investment grade corporate bond data drill down as seen from my seat here in Syndicate, Sales and DCM.
Ron Quigley, Managing Director / Head of Fixed Income Syndicate
Above is the opening extract from Quigley’s Corner aka “QC” Tuesday Sept 13 2016 Weekend Edition distributed via email to institutional investment managers and Fortune Treasury clients of Mischler Financial Group, the investment industry’s oldest and largest minority broker-dealer owned and operated by Service-Disabled Veterans.
Cited by Wall Street Letter in each of 2014, 2015 and 2016 for “Best Research / Broker-Dealer, the QC observations is one of three distinctive research content pieces produced by Mischler Financial Group. The QC is a daily synopsis of everything Syndicate and Secondary as seen from the perch of our fixed income trading and debt capital markets desk and includes a comprehensive “deep dive” with optics on the day’s investment grade corporate debt new issuance and secondary market data encompassing among other items, comparables, investment grade credit spreads, new issue activity, secondary market most active issues, and upcoming pipeline.
To receive Quigley’s Corner, please contact Ron Quigley, Managing Director and Head of Fixed Income Syndicate via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone.
*Sources: Bank of America/Merrill Lynch, Bloomberg, Bond Radar, Dow Jones Newswire, IFR, Informa Global Markets, Internal Mischler, LCDNews, Market News International, Prospect News, Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services, S, Thomson Reuters and of course, a career of sources, contacts, movers and shakers from syndicate desks to accounts; from issuers to originators; from academicians to heads of research, and a host of financial journalists, et al.
Mischler Financial Group’s “U.S. Syndicate Closing Commentary” is produced weekly by Mischler Financial Group. No part of this document may be reproduced in any manner without the permission of Mischler Financial Group. Although the statements of fact have been obtained from and are based upon sources Mischler Financial Group believes reliable, we do not guarantee their accuracy, and any such information may be incomplete. All opinions and estimates included in this report are subject to change without notice. This report is for informational purposes and is not intended as an offer or solicitation with respect to the purchase or sale of any security. Mischler Financial Group, its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, partners and employees, including persons involved in the preparation of this report, may from time to time maintain a long or short position in, or purchase or sell a position in, hold or act as market-makers or advisors or brokers in relation to the securities (or related securities, financial products, options, warrants, rights, or derivatives), of companies mentioned in this report or be represented on the board of such companies. Neither Mischler Financial Group nor any officer or employee of Mischler Financial Group or any affiliate thereof accepts any liability whatsoever for any direct, indirect or consequential damages or losses arising from any use of this report or its contents. “Mischler Financial” Group and the Mischler Financial Group
News and Information Categories
- Mischler Muni Market Outlook: Municipal Bond Offerings Scheduled Week of April 24 04/24/2017
- Week’s IG Corporate Bond Issuance: Cooling Off Period; April Showers Bring May Flowers 04/22/2017
- FIG Funding 5.0- Mother Merrill Launches a MOAB (Mother of All Bonds) 04/20/2017
- FIGs 4.0; Investment Grade New Issue Re-Cap- Mischler Debt Market Comment 04/19/2017
- Mischler Muni Market Outlook-Pending Municipal Debt Offerings Scheduled This Week 04/17/2017
- Risk Appetites Sour as News Cycle Confounds, But US Equity Markets Remain Stable; Mischler Commentary 04/07/2017